Powder Horn is a high adventure resource management course designed to motivate and prepare adult and youth Venturing leaders to support the Ranger award. Boy Scout leaders are also welcome to participate in Powder Horn. Boy Scout leaders with a specific interest would be those working with a troop’s older boy program. This course will give all participants an opportunity to experience the Ranger program themselves as if they were the Venturing youth. Powder Horn is designed to expose the Venturing leader to activities and resources necessary to operate a successful Venturing Ranger program in several ways, including the following
- Help Venturing leaders and Scouters to safely conduct outdoor activities of a fun and challenging nature.
- Provides an introduction to the resources necessary to successfully lead their Venturers through a program of high adventure.
- Familiarizes the Advisor with the Ranger program so that he or she can help the Venturer meet the requirements of the Ranger Award.
This course is based on the Ranger award requirements giving participants an exposure to some of the outdoor/high adventure activities. The course will include the following Ranger Core Requirements and many of the following Electives: (No one has to do any of the activities they feel uncomfortable with.) Backpacking; Communication; Conservation Project Development; Cooking; Emergency Preparedness; Expedition Planning; First Aid; Fishing; Plants, Wildlife & Ecology; Wilderness Survival; Land Navigation; Leave No Trace Camping; Life Saving; Mountaineering; Outdoor Living History; Physical Fitness; Shooting Sports; and Working with Teens.
After completing this course, participants will have sufficient introductory information, which will provide the following outcomes:
- Detailed knowledge of the Ranger Award and other Venturing recognitions.
- Knowledge of the health and safety requirements, and rules and regulations of the Boy Scouts of America as they apply to outdoor programs.
- Introduction to the skills necessary to operate their outdoor program and the certifications necessary and how to obtain those certifications.
- Knowledge of how to identify local resources and consultants for Ranger Award activities.
This course is not a total training program, which will enable the Venturing leader to be an expert in the many outdoor skills. They will most likely still need knowledgeable, trained, and certified individuals (Consultants) to help provide a safe and correct outdoor/high adventure program.
- Must be a registered adult member or youth (at least 13 and have completed the 8th grade) of the Boy Scouts of America.
- Must have participated in Youth Protection training for Venturing and/or Boy Scouts within the past 12 months.
- Must complete Hazardous Weather training. If water sports are offered, participants must complete Safety Afloat and Safe Swim Defense. If climbing or rappelling is available, then Climb On Safely must be completed online prior to the course
- Adults must have completed Venturing Specific Leader Training (Venturing Adult Basic Leader Training) or Introduction to Outdoor Leader Training (Scoutmaster Fundamentals) prior to attending Powder Horn. Youth must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops, Ships, or Crews. National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) is recommended for youth participants and youth staff
- Be able to meet the physical requirements of BSA Class III physical in a back country environment.