Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews
The purpose of the Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews course is to teach crew members with leadership positions about their new roles and how to most effectively reach success in that role. It is intended to help Venturers in leadership positions within their crew understand their responsibilities and to equip them with organizational and leadership skills to fulfill those responsibilities. Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews is the first course in the series of leadership training offered to Venturers.
Completion of Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews is a prerequisite for Venturers to participate in the more advanced leadership courses National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) and the National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience (NAYLE). It is also required for Kodiak.
Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews is organized into three modules, each of which should take 90 to 140 minutes to complete, with additional optional games and challenges to enhance the leadership lessons (and fun) of the course.
- Module One—Leading Self includes
- Creating a Vision
- Connecting the importance of vision to leadership
- Sharing the vision with a group
- Writing a crew vision statement
- Goal Setting
- Using the vision to set the crew’s goals
- Introducing and using SMART goal-setting criteria
- Creating a Vision
- Module Two—Leading Others covers
- Learning effective communication techniques that can be used during crew meetings, officer meetings, crew activities, etc.
- Giving and receiving feedback
- Group Decision Making
- Introducing a process for crew decision making
- Practicing effective crew decision making
- Presenting the Venturing seven-step planning process
- Using the planning process to plan an activity or a service project
- Module Three—Leading Crews incorporates
- Sharing the leadership
- Sharing the work
- Team Development
- Introducing the four stages of team development
- Applying Leading EDGE